There are a number of people offering assessment services. It is important they you understand what is happy kids -1offered.

For instance, a Level C assessor can’t access the range of tests a psychologist can use and do not have the training in interpretation of the tests used beyond that provided by any organisation they belong to. They are unable to use most Wechsler tests e.g WISC cognitive assessment, which is considered the gold standard for assessments.

This also means that they may not be able to use this information to assist with any other difficulty than the area in which they have training, for instance a SPELD tutor is trained to look for dyslexia but not necessarily for levels of anxiety or attentional difficulties, or to work with those who are gifted.

They may also not be bound by professional practice conditions and are not registered to any professional regulatory body. Psychologists must be registered. You can find them listed on the Register of Psychologists It is illegal for any person to use the title Psychologist if not registered as a Psychologist (HPCA Act 2003).

Check that your psychologist holds a current Practising Certificate.


You do not need a referral to have a consultation or assessment, however if you are or have been working with a health care professional, tutor, RTLB or other or school support service please do bring along any information you have from them.

Sick Children / Cancellations.

If your child is sick it is preferable to postpone the appointment, please phone Reception. There is no charge for this. However there is a $50.00 charge for a missed appointment not otherwise notified beforehand. Following your assessment if a further referral to specialist services is required we are usually able to provide this [$25 fee*]. We can refer to a wide number of services, all of which are independent from us this includes:

Occupational therapists


Speech language


Developmental Paediatrician*

Child /Adolescent Mental Health Services*



Various community support organisations